Thread: Jesus!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Someone just tried to buy $600 of something at a gas station in Denmark on my Amex. Given that it was Denmark, it probably was a tank of gas. Over the years this has happened a couple times to me and I've never had any trouble (thought it was cc). This time it was just blocked at the point of sale. Amex is great about this kind of customer service. I've even had them return money from a vendor just because I wasn't happy with their service.

Debit is a different story but I think Sean has said the bank, at least his CU is pretty good about it.

One day I was going up Azusa canyon on my bike to hit the GMR for some fun after work. I stopped at that shitty little Arco off the freeway to fill up, $10 maybe $15. The next day my debit card (B of A) was frozen. I called to figure out why and there was debit fraud on it at the station. They showed the $10-15 transaction then a few minutes later someone tried to put $200 through on it. The bank luckily saw it as suspicious activity (I only rode a bike at the time, occasionally filled up my brothers car, never anything over ~$40 at a gas station tho) and froze the card.

I don't know if it was the attendant or the stations owner had some sort of scam going. Never went back to that station tho.

After that it sent my banks automated fraud protection into overdrive and ended up freezing my card whenever I went out of town or made any sort of big purchase.