View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Well, I've been in the credit/debit card equipment industry for almost 20 years now. I've seen lots of devices that criminals have installed in numerous types of equipment to steal credit card numbers and debit card numbers with their PINs but have never had it happen to me until now. My wife was in Europe for 15 days and she handles our finances. While she was gone someone got a hold of my debit card number which is also a Visa check card and used it at gas stations in TX, AZ and CA. They used it multiple times a day for $75-$100 per transaction and completely drained our account and put us at -$200. Luckily my house payment cleared before they drained it all. I now have to wait 10 days for the bank to reveiw it before they will give me my money back.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
Personally I've never had mine stolen before, but as you know I work at a large credit union so I see it on a daily basis.

Depending on who your bank is you might see if they'll give you provisional credit now while they do their investigation. We give it for almost all our fraud cases, but with a bank you'd probably have a 50/50 shot.

As far as preventing fraud, unfortunately it's not that easy. The newest fraud usually involves a small usb flash storage device being placed inside of a card terminal at gas stations, retail outlets, etc. From the outside their is no way to know that the machine has been altered. Generally they store numbers on this device for months before removing it and using the numbers for fraud. As you might imagine this can make it very difficult to backtrack because it's possible that your number was stolen 6+ months earlier than when the fraud occurred.

Sorry to here about your situation, but the good news is that you should have no problem getting your money back. If you have any other questions let me know.