View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #21
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
The weight of the oil, ie: 5W30 indicates the viscosity (ability to flow) at low and high temperatures and don't have to do with its lubricating properties. Oil needs to be heated to ~170F IIRC to work best at lubricating. Since the majority of engine wear happens at startup, its best to get the oil up to its operating temperature quickly. I just wanted to point out not to overlook the importance of the engine oil to be warm enough to work well.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/oilcooler.html

This links shows an oil cooler installation on a Camaro SS. I should think the same could be applied to a Corvette. He installed a thermostat in his system.

Bob
Kinda of a different level, but I know the F1 guys actually fully preheat and run oil through engine system and trans before firing it up. Apparently the damn thing would seize on startupif they didn't.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)