View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Makes sense. The only caveat as I can imagine is that if you dial in a great AFR for WOT and you're rich at idle, then reduce your primaries, you're going to be lean at WOT and the cycle continues. I understand, in purely conceptual terms, the idea of calculating a starting point, and very progressively running up through throttle positions off idle.
The ratio at idle is adjusted differently than the cruise ratio. He will adjust the idle mixture with the idle mixture screws. As for the primaries they have an affect on both cruise and WOT. The only reason I suggested that he adjust the WOT first is because he already broke one piston from it. No need to do it again. I'm not a carb expert and can only tell you from adjusting my own carb on the Chevelle. I've never tuned a my carb using an A/F meter but I did have the Chevelle dyno tested once after I built the 454 just to make sure I was close and the AFR was 12.6-12.8 from 3000 to 6500. This was after tuning it at the track and cruising it around town to fine tune the drivability.