View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default Torque Arm For the Cobra

I have been wanting to get a Maximum Motorsports torque arm for the Cobra for a long time now but at $650 for the heavy duty one I just can't afford one. So I have been thinking about building my own. My first idea was to use the bushing and mount from a radius arm of an Explorer or Ranger. However, after talking to Guy one day he offered up his Maximum Motorsports HD one for me to copy.

I then spoke to GTR about ordering the hardware kit from Maximum Motorsports to make it easier on me. The hardware kit comes with the poly bushing, bolt, spacer, U-bolts and everything else that I would need to install it. That way I only needed to build the torque arm and cross member.

I've been slowly working on it for the passed few weeks because I'm still in a cast with a fractured ankle. I already had a 2.5 x .250 square tube left over from building the bumper on the Explorer. So that's what I used for the arm. It's thicker wall than the Maximum Motorsports one but with the way I drive I didn't think that was a bad thing.

Here's mine next to the MM piece. Mine is the same length and the bolt mount is at the same angle.

I still need to make the axle mounts and the arms that go between as well as the front mounts but I'll need to do that on the Cobra.

Next I started making the cross member. I started out with a 5ft piece of 4in x .250 plate that I bought for $15. I traced the MM cross member onto the plate and then cut it out. This took me a long time (about 10 hours) since I was using a sawzall, angle grinder, drill and jigsaw to cut them out.

The tools I used.

Front and back pieces shaped together.

I still need to drill and tap it for a zerk fitting and then install a freeze plug to the back of the center tube.

Last edited by 94cobra69ss396 : 04-01-2015 at 07:05 AM.