Thread: Painting
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Well I didn't paint the car today, here's what happened. Got it in the booth, masked it all off, mixed up the sealer and sprayed it on. After the second coat I could still see sanding scratches and even some waves (after days and days of guide coat/ block sanding) I was so bummed. Almost decided to take the car home for another coat of surfacer. But, I showed the head painter at this shop, and he recommended that I just block wet sand it with 600 grit.

So, I did. I sprayed a third coat of sealer, then I spent 5 hours in the booth wetsanding (thank God my friend came to help) and I removed all of the larger sanding scratches and a lot (if not all) of the waves.

Here's my question, can I spray color right over the wetsanded (600 grit) epoxy sealer? Or will I see scratches? I was told that I would not see 320 grit scratches through the sealer and... I did! So, will 600 grit scratches show through the paint?!

I'd rather shoot right over the sanded sealer. Before 600 sanding, there was a lot of orange peel. Now there's no peel, obviously. PPG recommends that you mix 4:2:1, IMO you can use a lot more reducer than that. At the end of the night just doing burn through touch ups, I mixed it 2:1:1 and it went on much smoother. I would like to try even more reducer.