View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Thanks. They are 2618 aluminum alloy. I had the coatings done after-the-fact since I bought the pistons NIB from someone and saved $300 over MSRP, so I took that savings and put the $300 towards coatings from Embee Performance. Not the most well known coating facility, but they are the largest local aerospace coatings company that caters to racing teams. Apparently they do the coatings for Ross and some other piston manufacturers.

This thread is a good read when it comes to forged engine longevity: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/advanc...ged-motor.html
Maybe not the best piston choice for my power level, but I care more about them not cracking than slow oil consumption increases (unless it gets BAD...).

I am not capable of assembling/balancing a SHORTblock on my own, so I just bought all the parts necessary (except for the main studs) and had JMS Racing Engines (a shop in El Monte) purchase the main studs & do the line hone/balance/assembly the shortblock. My friends and I reassembled it from the head studs up.
Good stuff. I'd say your bottom end is up to the task.