View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post

Decaf for you my friend.

I went to public schools and never once was I taught that parents aren't necessary. In fact, I remember one of the first social studies lessons being about the nuclear family in 3rd grade.

As far as the quality of teachers, it's of course hit or miss. To simply say that a bunch of hippy teachers are ruining our society though is insane. I work for a credit union for educators and can attest to the fact that most of them are very decent, caring individuals. Also although you may not believe it, many of them have their own families. Shocking, isn't it?

Finally, my wife and I don't have kids yet, but the reality is that when we do we will both have to continue working. We don't live in a giant mansion, but the reality of life in Southern California is that it most times does require two incomes. If both parents are doing their job though, this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Plenty of perfectly normal kids have come out of homes where both parents worked.
Never liked de-caf...lol. I never said all, not implied either. It's pretty obvious that our society today has changed a lot since the '50's. With teen pregnancy glorified, sex between teachers and students rampant, almost the norm. Read your child's history books. Not much mention of WW2. And from what I've read, we were responsible for starting the war. Almost no mention of Pearl Harbor, just that we nuked the Japanese. Almost impossible for inept teachers to be fired. Try finding a conservative professor at a major university. Remember that line from a Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry movie where Tyne Daley is applying for a Detective's position on the force, and Harry Calahan says she is being considered for the promotion because it's "stylish"? Many kids today are not allowed to fail or be left back because it "wouldn't reflect well on the schools". I'm sorry for ranting, but I still believe a Mom and Dad can teach a lot more to our children than some govt. school.