View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #372
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Just FYI,

I'm pretty much striking out everywhere I look for 174 parts, and the blower services aren't getting back to me. I would be interested in going NA if the 174 doesn't work, but if we do, I'd like to make it kinda gnarly by going to a nasty solid cam/lifters (would also have to change springs since they're being setup for the mild hydraulic blower cam we have now). I think this is pretty much what Ron and Bird had in mind. But the big thing I'd like to try in this case is to go E85. That would be our challenge as well as our little talking point. I'm guessing, but an aggressive E85 tune (cool charge, 105~ octane) on a high spinning big cam, LT headers, etc. should be good for hi 300s maybe even crack a 400 to the wheels on the 306. We could also keep the IRS and that plus not having the blower means the car would be quite a bit lighter, maybe down to <=2,500lbs.

I think the hydraulic roller springs will work fine with a solid flat tappet. They usually have a higher spring rate for heavier weight of the lifters but that will work well because we need more spring pressure for the higher rpm.

Check to see what the open and closed spring rates are when you pick up the heads. Also check to see what the max lift he says you can use. We can check to see what the cam manufacturer recommends for the cam we want to run and compare.

I'm also not using the springs that are recommended for my cam. I'm running a solid roller that needs more spring pressure with springs designed for a flat tappet cam but because I only turn 6500 they worked fine. I accidently over rev'd the engine doing a burnout when I first put it together and hit valve float at 7200. Now after 2 years of racing the engine stops pulling after 6000.