Thread: 93 GMC Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #19

About 2 weeks ago the truck got too hot going up the Grapevine. Ended up changing the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap and a flush. Ran good after that, then it started smoking a couple of days later after I did an oil change. I ran 5w30 instead of 10w30 and I thought that was the issue. Added some Lucas oil additives and smoking damn near went away. Only smoked when I took off from a dead stop. Then it just started smoking all the time. Did a compression check and all cylinders had 155-160psi but one. That one only had 35psi and the spark plug had oil all over it. So now I'm in the middle of an engine tear down. I guess this is quite common for these trucks if they get a bit too warm. Sad part is, I just lost my job a week and a half ago too. So no crazy spending for me. Hopefully the damage is minimal (key word "hopefully") and I can just buy a rebuild kit for the bottom end and buy a new block later on and build that one up.

Anyone know how good Sealed Power kits are? I'm looking at this kit: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MKP-6371A000

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."