Thread: Track Tires
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

I ordered the NT01 in 275/40/17 on Saturday from Americas Tire near my house. They didn't have them locally though. The closest store that had them was in TX but they were going to check Nitto here in L.A. to see if they have them in stock. I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

I also ordered Rabestos race pads in the ST47 compound. They are supposed to have great bite but also be street friendly. I plan to run them all the time since I can't afford separate rotors for track only at right now.

I also bought a different set of shocks for the rear because the Tokico Blues I had were too soft for the torque arm. I should buy new TA springs from Maximum Motorsports but after buying tires and brakes I can't afford them. That's why I did the shocks and those came from Pick-A-Part. I just started looking through the full size trucks to see if I could find a shock that had an eye on the bottom with a stem on the top that would be the right length. I figured the weight of the front end of a full size would require a firmer shock than the back of the Cobra. I ended up finding a Navigator that had upgraded the air shocks to a set of coilovers. They had the same extended length as the Tokicos so I pulled them and installed them on the Cobra without the coils. They are firmer and it car seems to have a lot less understeer with them. One day I'll do it right and buy the TA springs and a pair of Koni single adjustables like I have n the front. But these seem to work better than the Tokicos for now.

Ben the tires I'm running right now are cheapy Nankan in a 255/40/17 with a 320 wear rating. On a cool day they will break loose in third gear at about 60 mph. On warmer days they will hold third but second gear will break loose anytime. Even with my M/T ET Street slicks (26x11.5x17 but are actually only 9.5 wide) I can't give it full throttle though first because they break loose. I can give it full throttle in second though and they'll hook unless I power shift from first to second and go full throttle. Then second just spins and I have to throttle it.