Thread: Last Samurai
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I own this movie and love it. I have a total respect for much of the Japaneese culture for the respect they show and this moive is just awesome!

Let's just say a lack of respect was not a good option.

A lot of Japanese language, as it is spoken, is quite vague and indirect, and will be completely different according to who the speakers are. Conversations can go on, sentence after sentence without a subject (impossible in English) and other staggering vagueness. All of this evolved over a long period of time as a kind of conflict avoidance mechanism, as confrontation meant calling one's honor into question and poof battle to the death ensued.

This speaks to an aspect of their culture I admire greatly and apply in my own modern American way. Merely living is not good enough. To live fully, you must completely apply yourself to the principles you define your life by. For them, this was more important than life itself; preserving "honor" in the broad sense was paramount.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)