View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
The cost of a custom grind is around ~$75 more than a shelf cam, the difference is, even if the specs are the same, the lobe designs are proprietary to each grinder and they make a significant different in ramp rates and what not. Justin and I use FTI and the cam i'm running now was spec'ed using help from FTI. He'll probably cut you a deal on a cam package if you're buying lifters from him anyhow.
I was just going to ask, how much for a custom cam anyhow? $75 over off the shelf is trivial if it makes much of a difference in performance behavior. I don't want a cam that is only really performing around peak RPM, but my understanding is that is more of an overlap issue than anything. I want a smooth "street performance" cam that works well cruising or WOT and passes smog. Given those requirements if a custom grind can improve over an off the shelf and it's <$100 difference great, if it is $100 for nothing noticeable really, then forget it. I have literally no idea.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)