View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #2667

It blows anything I've driven before right out of the water. I will have one some day... swoon. They had a little autox course setup at the end of the day, and you bet I turned off all the nannies, put it in Race mode with manual shifting, and got very sideways. Killed a couple cones in the process. Also, when I was trailing one of the instructors (all were german racecar drivers that were flown in!) out on the big track, I was able to keep up and push him a bit. After we get out, he says, "This isn't your first time on a track, is it?" I was surprised the cars didn't overheat out in the desert pushing it on the track, some of the previous AMGs lacked enough cooling and the transmission would get waaaay hot and go into limp mode. No such problems with these

AMG built that car from the bottom up, and it kicks the SLS' ass. Biturbo V8, 500hp 480tq, 3400ish lbs, 47:53 front rear weight split, DCT. Intake manifold is on the bottom of the heads, exhaust comes out on the top, turbos mounted right in the V! They made the exhaust sound amaaaaaazing, and you can occasionally hear the turbos sucking up all the air since they're right in front of you on top of the engine. And of course, many pops and burbles on demand, love it. Entire drivetrain is on electronically controlled mounts, so it can be a smooth cruiser or track bruiser when you want it.

They're coming out with a black series version further down the line, and maybe a Porsche GT3 like version as well. Can't even imagine how those will turn out, the regular one is superb!

Also drove some of the other AMGs, absolutely loved the S63. It can hustle hard in the canyons when you want it to, or you can sit back and cruise in total comfort in the great cocoon of leather and aluminum/wood. Greatest seat I have sat in of all time, car or not!