View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
Fast & Filthy

I got the trans put together only to realize that I had to take it back apart to modify internals for the transbrake install. Part of which would have required a press which I don't have. The transbrake requires new stiffer springs in the direct drum as well a 1/16 hole drilled in it. Luckily I still have the drum from the old trans which had that done already and it was in good shape so I installed the clutches and steels in it and put it all back together again.

I spent yesterday installing it in the car which is a pain doing by myself laying on the floor. The most difficult part is that the car isn't high enough to roll the trans under it while it's on the jack so I had to slide the trans under the car and then lift it up onto the jack while under the car. Once I got it onto the jack it was fairly easy getting it seated to the block.

I also had the modify the cross member because it didn't clear the edge of the pan. I'm not sure why but since I have a welder it wasn't that big of a deal to do it. I also had a difficult time installing the crossmember. With the old pan there was just enough room for the crossmember to slide in between the frame rails bit I'm using a deeper pan And it no longer clears. So I had to remove the pan to install it and then reinstall the pan which is when I discovered the pan wasn't going to clear.

I have a few things left to do like connect the cooler lines, wire up the transbrake solenoid, bolt the torque converter to the flywheel, etc. that is another thing that is different. I need longer torque converter bolts. I currently have 3/8-24 x 5/8 but they are too short. I need to get back under the car and check the size of the hole in the flexplate and converter because while researching bolts I found that Summit only carries a 3/4 length 3/8 bolt which I think I need 1 inch. They carry a 1 inch 7/16 though so I need to check and see if the hole is for a 7/16 bolt and if not then if a 3/4 length will be long enough.

I won't be working on it today though because we are going to the Lucas off-road series at Glen Helen today.