View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Letters from Iwo Jima

I've posted recently about 300, the comic book "retelling" of a historic battle between a small number of Spartans and a large number of Persians. Then I thought, what else is like this from recent history. Then I thought, duh, the Japanese defense of Iwo Jima was in some sense surprisingly similar. They were sent to fight to the death with the only real intent of delaying the invader so other defensive preparations could be made. Of course there are many factual differences, but in some sense the idea of knowingly forfeiting your life in the defense of your ideology is a hallmark of great civilizations. However, unlike "300" which is really more aimed at entertainment, "Letters from Iwo Jima" appears far more realistic . . . and consequently far . . far sadder.

Letters from Iwo Jima Site

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Last edited by Vettezuki : 02-22-2007 at 07:47 PM.