Thread: Coilovers
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
HAH Bigger is not always better, why do you think it is that the American Club Racing edition has a smaller size rim? They look great too! but wider will be better, got my eyes on hopefully a 16x8 possibly a 17x8

i've always been more focused on handling personally, i can always throw on slicks for drag. it's not like i intend to be racing my car all over the city so handling is more important to me when it's properly balanced
Not sure what American Club Racing is. But it is poor judgement to assume that just because some manufacturer produces something or some type of racing adapts a rule, that it is absolutely the correct thing to do.

As an example, Nascars have power steering. Does that mean that power steering is always best for racing? Obviously not.

A lower profile tire (street tires) will always provide less roll and better handling. Ideally for a road racer, you'll want the tire width to be less wide than the rim (I think 2" is ideal). But having a wider tire (assuming we're comparing two like tires) will always provide more grip, that's pretty basic. Now if we're talking about drag racing, you'll want a slightly smaller diameter rim for less sidewall stiffness and less consequent tire spin. Or if you're using wrinkle wall slicks you'll want the tire diameter to be much smaller, so that the sides of the tire can actually wrinkle and allow the tire to grip. But street tires aren't made like this.

I see some 17x10s in your future bro.