View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
How does the coil not effect travel? If the coil is longer then it will go into coil bind soon than the factory coil. if it is softer than the factory coil (given enough shock travel) the weight of the axle will pull the coils apart more than the heavier coil. That's assuming they are bolted to the top and bottom like a Ford Ranger coil is.

Also, I'm not talking wheel travel measured when the truck is twisted up. I'm talking about straight up and down travel. There is just no way with a 7 or even a longer 10 inch shock that you are going to get 18.5 inches of travel without using a cantilever shock setup.

When you get home, measure your suspension like I said before. I'll do the same on the my Explorer.
I should of said that the coil used would not affect travel, They are the same length as stock just have a higher spring rate and different coil spacing's near the ends and I know my coils are not bolted in.

For straight up and down travel I most likely have about 11 - 12 inches, looking at how much my wheel was able to travel down yesterday.

I've not heard of "cantilever shock setup" but i'm liking the idea and now it much go on to my project truck! lol

You clearly know alot more about suspension's then I do.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20