View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Agree with most of this, but disagree to some extent. Work may be a desire at first, but it will eventually and inevitably become just work.

Everyone I've talked to in their careers has told me that eventually, a job becomes just a job. So pick something that you can do well, that you feel good about, and that is lucrative or at least worth your time.

I knew this guy who was, and is a mechanic. In highschool he was obsessed with his 65 GTO, to the point that he got a GTO 6.3L tattoo on his arm. Now, after about 8 years, he HATES his job, it doesn't pay well enough, and he is training and looking for another career. He wouldn't even talk about tuning cars for fun, he was just over it. His GTO is now a gigantic paper weight that has been sitting for about... 8 years. I have no doubt it will be sold, without love.

My Dad is a loudspeaker engineer. Same story, in college, he was an audiophile. More hardcore than any of you. Now... he hates his job, doesn't make enough, is looking for other work, and listens to his TV speakers.

My mom had a career as a professional air brush artist. ...She is now a psychologist... and once again, hating her job.

I even know a certain forum God, who has recently opened up his own business in his early 30s... even after landing a successful career at a major company in his industry after getting his masters degree. Bored so soon? Although, I'm sure he'll have some explanation.

Reality is, I love cars, I have a desire to work on them. But if I went from pulling the heads on a classic Corvette, to doing brakes on a Camry, I'm guessing I'd lose that desire pretty quick.

Do I want to be a litigator? Sure. Do I have some desire to litigate? No. I want money. I feel that I can do law well, I won't get easily bored with it, and it should pay out. But honestly, I'd rather be jet skiing or wrenching on a tuner car.
exact reason i stopped teaching, i want to live the arts, not hate them
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!