View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I read the opposite. The interior was designed around the person who bought it, things weere placed specifically in certain distances to make it a custom fit. The prospective buyers were put up at the ritz while they received driving classes until their car was finished being assembled
The S7 is a pretty interesting car. I got to intern for Saleen for a couple of monthe in college. Part of the reason that they had to fit each car to each customer was that the seats, pedals and steering column had not adjustments. The steering column was in fact out of a Focus of the same vintage. It even had the cheap Ford key blank as any other ford but at least they stuck a Saleen logo on it.

Speaking of local manufacturers, Metal Crafters in Costa Mesa made the body panels for the S7 when I was there.

There were some interesting touches. One that was kind of weird was an off the shelf Kenwood head unit for the stereo. It always had an out of place feel to me.

Last I heard, Saleen packed up their Irvine facility and moved the whole operation to Troy, Michigan but I have not confirmed that.