View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
Fast & Filthy

Adam's not right. If you think a stock 2wd F150 with it's 6 inches of suspension travel can come any where near a Raptor with it's 11.2 inches of front suspension travel and 13.4 inches of rear suspension travel you're crazy. The truck was specifically designed for running across the desert fast. Ford spent a lot of time working with companies like Fox Racing Shox to develop and tune the suspension to handle woops and jumps. There is not another factory truck on the market that can touch it in the area it was designed for.

You keep comparing it to a Wrangler but they are designed for different things. Have you ever gone out to the desert to prerun? Try taking a Wrangler out to Lucerne to prerun. They handle like crap over woops because of the limited suspension travel and short wheelbase. They're close in wheelbase to my brothers FJ and my Explorer leaves his FJ in the dust over the woops with only 10 inches of front travel and 11.5 rear travel and crappy shocks that fade after about 10-15 minutes. A stock Raptor would leave me in the dust.

Now even though it's designed for running fast over woops it's still a capable 4x4. It has 4.10 gears, electronic rear locker and a 2.64:1 low range along with the already mentioned suspension travel. It won't do as well in the rocks or tight trails as a Wrangler will but it will do fine on most of the trails that you would run a stock Wrangler through hear in So Cal.

Oh, and it also has a tow rating of 6000lbs and a tow mode for the transmission. Granted, that's not much but it's better than your Neon and enough to tow your boat.

I'd be more than happy if my Explorer would wheel like it does now and handle like a Raptor through the woops and jumps.