View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
"Sport" as in "Autosports". Say, Baja racing for exmample, which has several decades of fierce . . . wait for it . . . wait for it. . . competition. The Raptor is clearly and intentionally derived from that form of AUTOSPORTS. The Lightning? Let's take the muscle car idea and put it in a truck. Fine. But calling the Raptor not a Sport Truck belies a substantial blind spot or simple bias IMO.

Fair enough observation. But as far as stock trucks go it seems to be pretty stout for very serious off roading including jumping. Clearly no competition.

It's not intended to be practical. Tell the truth and shame the Devil, how practical is a Vette in day to day life? Not much. A TINY fraction of owners ever get anywhere near a track of any kind. This is all about perceived value and "posing".
Baja racing is not an argument, that is exactly why I brought up the AWD vs 2 wheel drive thing. Anyone seriously interested in owning a dezert race worthy truck following that genre of racing will go 2 wheel drive.

Notice anything missing? You just can't get enough travel out of a 4 wheel drive setup, it's too heavy, and for that sport, it is unnecessary.

Way better platform than the raptor for the genre you are talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Fair enough. I wonder what the real vs. projected sales are?
Not even a theoretical response to that one? As far at the vette being practical, well um, have you even heard of a Motorgen cruise? Piston aside, I could go drive my vette right now down the canyon and enjoy it. Chuck can tow my boat and do some four wheeling in the housing development tracts when it rains (don't ask how I got that idea). What can the raptor do right now? Drive 4 hours out to Glamis and cruise around quickly? Not as quickly as a 2 wheel drive truck bought for the same purpose.