View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #1

Default Guten tag from Solana Beach

Hey everybody, I'm Craig, 28, from Solana Beach. I was invited to the site by Ben (Vettesuki), who kept on me until I finally joined.

I'm an all around car and truck fan, with my favorite car being the Toyota Supra. I've owned three of them - an '87 N/A 5 Sp., a '91 turbo targa 5 Sp. and a '97 turbo targa auto. Other vehicles I own or have owned are my beloved '91 4Runner 4X4 5 Sp. with a "modified" and rebuilt 22R-E and many new or upgraded parts (current DD w/ 249K), '02 Tacoma Prerunner TRD (recently sold), '93 Lexus GS300 (recently sold) and an '07 Honda CRF250R that I absolutely love, but want to sell ASAP.

The '87 was my first car and was sold several years ago. I had a good time with it and got over my hatred of manuals as soon as I became comfortable with driving it. Sadly, I found out about the head gasket issues the 7M engines suffered from while I owned it.

I bought my '91 in late '02, and after tossing the idea of selling it around a number of times, I've decided to have a 1JZ-GTE (2.5L turbo inline-six) swapped into it. It will be a quasi daily driver/weekend car with plenty of power and handling capability as its strong points. It already has a T70 turbo installed, which I'll use until I'm able to upgrade to a Precision 6265 billet (preferably ball bearing) turbo. There are a number of supporting mods on this, as well, including Tein Flex coilovers (FOR SALE - I'm going for a Bilstein/Hyperco setup), a GReddy intercooler kit with OEM fitment for this car and engine, 550cc injectors from the 2JZ-GTE (found in the '93-'98 Supra Turbo), a decent brake setup, a 3" DP/MP to 4" cat-back exhaust with a Burns Stainless muffler, Volk TE-37 wheels, '97 black leather front seats from a '97 Supra and several others. Initially, I think 400 RWHP and well over 300 RWTQ are reasonable numbers to expect from this once it's tuned. I'll be taking it easy, though, because there is more shaft play on the turbo than I care for. This car has about 150K on it.

I love my '97 Supra, which I only bought last summer in Monterey, but I'd love to get rid of my car payments even more at this point. It pulls hard, handles extremely well and feels very solid overall. It's in pretty clean condition and relatively close to stock with 135K on it, making it attractive for buyers looking for an unmolested late MKIV Supra. The full list of performance mods are a Tanabe DP, Apex GT Spec cat-back, Bilstein HD shocks, Bilstein coilover sleeves, Hyperco springs (650F/425R), Brembo drilled/slotted rotors (installed by the previous owner, unfortunately), ATS metal clutch type LSD, GReddy Airinx intake and a GReddy boost cut controller - all totaling roughly $4,000. It was dyno'd in August in 80+ degree heat and put down 345/360, with they dyno simulating street driving, thus providing conservative numbers. Then again, 100+ BHP over stock isn't bad for intake and full exhaust. I'll post this is the for sale section with more details. Here's a dyno video:
I'll probably be at Cars and Coffee in Irvine this Saturday morning if anybody wants to join me there. I'll probably also join in on the Palomar trip on Sunday the 9th, as well. It'll be nice to meet some of you and have a chance to see your cars.

Enjoy the rest of your week and have a great New Year's weekend.