View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
You might want to consider a Toyota PU.
My GF's grandfather has a tacoma with ~325k miles on it and its still going strong. Original motor, trans, and rearend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
Diesels don't need to be smogged in CA, well at least mine doesn't. I know there are supposed to be new rules coming out or they are out already. The easiest way is to find one already done. Transfereing a car to the US from Mexico, from what I understand is a pain.

Also long traveling a diesel is kind of pointless... A diesel is heavy, if you want a long traveled truck idealy you want light. Hell if you are going to go through the trouble of an engine swap just go get a full floating currie enterprises 9inch custom ford rearend.

If you want to Long travel a ranger start with a Ranger Edge with tortion bars, they have an excellent frame. Then toss in a 4 banger gas motor in it and turbo it. That would be the most effective long traveled streetable truck. I have seen a good amount of Toyotas and Fords in Ocotillo and Glamis that have a similar setup. It will tow a little boat (which sounds like a ridgid inflatable or something similar) with ease. And the 5 speed trans that comes in them isn't bad at all.
I'm not sure how it works on a car that originally should have been smogged but was swapped to a diesel. Knowing California I'm sure there's a good deal of paperwork and an inspection.

As far as cheap long travel you cant beat the TTB. The torsion bar rangers are easier to lift but get real pricey when you get into true longtravel stuff. You're right about the diesel being heavy (4bt is ~700lbs with accessories, about as much as a BBF) and might compromise your long travel because of the heavy springs you'd have to run. Another nice thing about the TTB rangers is they came with the lima which can be very easily converted to the turbo lima from the SVO Mustang.

There's really no need for a 9" full floater unless you're going to get crazy with a dedicated desert rig. A 4.11 trac-lok 8.8 with welded tubes would be more than enough for DD that saw the desert regularly. An 8.8 with flipped perches on 64" chevy leafs and an inverted shackle is a budget way to get a good 15+" of rear travel.