View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm talking about the concept of theft losses being passed on to consumers in general. Sure, some scum of the earth who should be shot in the knee caps and left for dead in the deserts steals a tanker of gas, that cost as a one time will be eaten. Piracy on a regular basis will not. I work for a multi-national multi-billion dollar company and I'll tell you this much: EVERY EXPENSE THE COMPANY INCURS, INCLUDING PIRATE INSURANCE (SERIOUSLY), IS FACTORED INTO PRODUCT PLANS AND IMPACTS COSTS PAID BY DISTRIBUTORS RETAIL OUTLETS AND ULTIMATELY BY CONSUMERS . . . PERIOD. IT'S A FACT. I know it's a popular Hollywood theme. Steal from the big guys, nobody really gets hurt . . . it's covered by insurance, yada yada yada. You're a sucker if you think that's the way it really goes down at higher levels over time.

Car insurance rates, workers comp, medicare all have rates that are inflated as a function of fraud, a category of theft. This is extensively documented.
Agreed, all gas companies have insurance and all gas companies factor that into the cost of retail gas. But we're talking about a one time theft at one company. You will pay for insurance whether it is being used or not, therefore the cost of a one time theft at one company will not be passed on to you the consumer, directly.