View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I think WRC, more than F1, has a chance to be somehow popular in the US. It has a lot of spectacular off road action, it's a team sport (driver + navigator), involves some of the most spectacular driving skills on the planet and is based on a true everyman's car. But, hey, I thought miniDisc should have been popular in the States too.

The problem is that the motorsports and sports market is sooo full in the States, that even though WRC rocks, and might appeal to Americans, it has a tough hall at best.
i think i rally could take off like a bat outta hell in the US but for this to happen and compete with wrc rules thats means that U.S. might have to start selling the euro/jap counterparts of our watered down US cars. b.c in the rules of rally manufacture entered car has to have had so many of the same carbon copy sold to the public i think its 2500 or 5000 units per year i forgot.

IE - all engines have to be 2.0L well the sti in the US is 2.5L but everywhere else to meet with rally rules they sell it as a 2.0L to the public. same goes for fords 2.0l turbo focus hatch.
-and then companys like skoda, citoen, and peugeot would have to come to the US and set up shop here, which to tell u the truth i wouldnt mind at least there would be some better cars to drown out all the hondas. :-(

the second problem ive seen with rally and even drifting is the sponsorship backing $$$ and pushing. really there is an untapped fuckin mega well in rally for US sponsors.
only the energy drink companys Monster and redbull have to balls enough to jump in and try and get things started. think about the X-games rally section its cool and all but if uve seen any wrc episodes the x-games is pretty damn "humble" to say the least.

imagine all the mascar sponsors and manufacture sponsors getting behind rally in the US holy shit i think it would be bigger then nascar!! maybe even have more viewers then F1 but that might be stretching it lol. F1 to me is a drivers and engineers sport, while rally is a drivers and viewers sport.

so ya in summary the 2 things needed to get rally into the US r

- j-spec and euro-spec cars/companys here
and
- sponsorship up the ass!!! after that the people will come in groves!!!

so do u think this can happen? or what do u think needs to happen to get wrc to the US and make it a REAL WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP!! lol?