View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
. . .Here is a challenge. Ron I never said that you couldn't build a 1khp motor (even though you feel challenged somehow), but I bet you can't do it for less than $10K reliably.
Now we're talking!

- Define your parameters of what's allowable (displacement, induction, NOS, etc.)

- Define your parameters of what would constitute reliable.

Th point of my original post was perhaps a bit too general. Here's my take.

A well sorted car in the low 500s to the wheels, think Vette, Cobra, etc. can still have all these parameters:
- affordable(ish)
- reliable
- comfortable
- somehow acceptable mpg
- usable, that is you can get on it from time to time

These are the things I would consider desirable in a regularly street driven car.

Every car I've seen beyond 600WHP blows one or more of these parameters out of the water. The Veyron is an awesome example of >1,000HP car that you could buy groceries in, take on long quiet drives, etc., but there's what, 200 of them in the world, and I bet not one of them is regularly driven on the road.

It seems to me most cars making north of 600 to the wheels are going to have things like:
- very touchy throttles, making a ton of power right off idle, not fun in traffic OR
- big turbo -> big lag -> power hits like a wave, not fun in traffic
- heavy clutches in the case of manuals to hold the power, or regularly fried lighter clutches

I should have been more specific. I get your point Carlos. Money no object, you could build a street car that would be massively powerful. Then I have to ask the question, what for? Unless you're in the sticks, you aren't going to get anywhere near that massive power, which is the other implied part of my question.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)