Thread: SBC vs BBC.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I don't have Vortec heads. I have Alum China heads that I ported with the 30 30 cam. NHRA put the 327 fuelie at 425 hp in the 60's. Hell, the 302 Trans AM motors of the late 60s were at 440 hp or there abouts. Yea, 536 hp is a "little" high but and a big "but" here any good 400 is capable of 450 hp to 475 hp with the right cam and heads.
Yes, computer dynos are a "little" off, but some of the engine builders I have talked to- that have ENGINE dynos -find them to be VERY helpfull checking changes that they are thinking of doing.

Just for fun I took known engine combs -hp figures etc.- and ran it on the computer, using CORRECT flow numbers and specs. I would get figures within 5 to 10 hp. Who knows what is really right. Just go as fast as you can and hope for the best.

HP figures have ALWAYS been a pain. I've seen guys almost come to blows discussing power figures.

Beer is always the best way to figure out HP.
I was talking about DBs motor, don't really know anything about the H&C in your motor.

And Glenn, that's what I use the program for, checking changes. Lift, boost, header size, etc.