Thread: SBC vs BBC.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I don't have Vortec heads. I have Alum China heads that I ported with the 30 30 cam. NHRA put the 327 fuelie at 425 hp in the 60's. Hell, the 302 Trans AM motors of the late 60s were at 440 hp or there abouts. Yea, 536 hp is a "little" high but and a big "but" here any good 400 is capable of 450 hp to 475 hp with the right cam and heads.
Yes, computer dynos are a "little" off, but some of the engine builders I have talked to- that have ENGINE dynos -find them to be VERY helpfull checking changes that they are thinking of doing.

Just for fun I took known engine combs -hp figures etc.- and ran it on the computer, using CORRECT flow numbers and specs. I would get figures within 5 to 10 hp. Who knows what is really right. Just go as fast as you can and hope for the best.

HP figures have ALWAYS been a pain. I've seen guys almost come to blows discussing power figures.

Beer is always the best way to figure out HP.

There are only two classes of HP discussions:
1 - Estimation based on combination theory, hopefully supported by mathematical and historical data (of highly variable accuracy). Always take with a grain of salt.

2 - Measuring on a dyno of some kind. But even this has variance depending on type and chassis losses. For example, my motor with a different tune (more aggressive) and different pair of headers made 432 WHP in a C5. With my more conservative tune and stock manifolds, but better intake and TB, hasn't cracked 391. That's 40 WHP! . . . Measured.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)