Thread: SBC vs BBC.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango_Boy View Post
Okay, lets look at small blocks VS big blocks, but using similar displacements.

Say, the 'W' block 348, vs the SBC 350.

Power to weight ratio goes in favor of the small block, but does the big block make more lower end torque because of the differences in bore and stroke?

Still on to another 'W' big block, the 409, compared to a bored SBC 400.

The 400 is known for it's low end grunt...and how does that compare to the option the 409 gives you...excluding the huge handicap or cost to build.

Feel free to discuss other similar displacement between the BBC and SBC divisions.
Mmm, fascinating question I don't know the answer to. At first I thought it'd be almost completely a function of bore/stroke, but then I thought, hey, the heads and intake you can put on a BBC are quite different aren't they? I'm really guessing, but maybe back in the Paleozoic era before they had trick computer models for optimizing head flow, the larger heads and intake (w/ typically longer runners?) on a BBC would inherently tend towards better breathing and torque on otherwise similar displacements. This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm sure BRUTAL64 might have some input on this subject.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)