View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #23
Super Moderator

No blanket statements. Statements from reading motor trend magazine for years. They tested all the hot cars a few years ago and published a report. Vipers and Vettes had slight oversteer. And I'm pretty sure they know the difference between breaking the tires loose with the motor and breaking the tires loose with lateral g force.

So, yes, a Corvette will oversteer in neutral. Wanna go for a ride? I'll show ya. And as physics would have it, more weight in the rear would make that bias worse.

The Corvette frame has been completely transformed 3 times since my frame was conceived in 1963. The front end is about 2 feet shorter now and the transmission is in a different spot. I don't believe that maintaining a 50/50 weight distribution again and again was an accident. Too much has changed and the weight distribution is no accident. The fact that the other American front engine rear drive supercar has almost the exact same weight distribution with a different frame, engine, and transmission location is no coincidence either.

I'm not saying they got it exactly where they wanted it, I agree there is always a need to compromise. But I'll bet 50/50 was and always has been their goal.