View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Good argument Sean.

You guys don't seem to be getting the point, different cars are geared differently. Different cars, have different motors. It's foolish to believe that 55 mph is a magical number for all cars, whether the C6 can do it or not. My motor, in my car CANNOT cruise at 55mph in 6th gear. IT CANNOT. My big duration cam motor lugs so bad at 55 mph in 6th gear that it requires so much throttle to maintain that speed that it will literally lean spit, case in point. Are you going to try to make the argument that I'd get better gas mileage in 5th gear at 55mph, (which would also lug BTW) Than in 6th gear at a higher speed?

55mph, is NOT a magical number, it is NOT where ALL cars get best gas mileage. Don't know what else to say.

If anyone disagrees with my understanding of the conditions that yield the best mpg, please explain why and provide your own set of conditions. Not going to play "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" Thaaat gets old.

And yes Ben, that's what I meant about the AF ratio. Obviously if the car were richer down low and leaner up top, the lowest rpm at the highest vacuum might not be the best spot to cruise. But all cars should have a consistent AF ratio at part throttle speeds.