View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Sorry dude, but your wrong. The lug that you feel on the engine isn't because there is more load on the engine. It's because the RPMs are way way down and the motor isn't making as much torque at 1100 rpm (approximately 55 in sixth for my car) versus 2000 rpm (80 mph my car). Also take into consisderation that as speeds increase the force of wind resistance increases exponentialy. My car gets ~23 mpg average going from SD to Phoenix when I keep it at or above 90 mph. It averages about 28 if I keep it around 75 mph.
Very true, there isn't more load on the engine, my bad. But the engine is less efficient if you lug it (as you said, it's making less power) this is why the vacuum guage will read less vacuum. Semantics aside, you will not get the best gas mileage lugging your engine.

Your C6 does better as a lower speed as you have a higher diff ratio than I do. Just like Ben's C3.

Once again, mpg are calculated by using vacuum as the variable. And I'm sure there's no doubt that lugging your engine will cause the engine to make less vacuum.

BTW I've been able to get well over 20mpg at 90 mph coming back from SD, but always less than 20 at 70mph.