View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I believe it's primarily a function of the overlap (LSA) and rpm. Lots of overlap at low RPMs basically means lope. LSAs of 114 (like I have are more agressive than most OEMs, but still very streetable, smooth idle, and emissions compliant). What you hear at the drags are a lot of 110s and 108s, maybe more. They are optimized for maximum breathing through the heads at high RPMs (5,500+).

Haven't read this article in a while, but as memory serves it's awesome. Cam technology, especially now with with all the different schemes for variable valve timing, is fascinating and very complex.

How Cam Shafts Work

There's still a lot of improvements that can be made with ICE. I just read an article about a scheme for variable compression on boosted engines that uses, are you ready for this, linkages for variable length rods! Hi compression at low boost for most getting araound (better thermal effeciencies) low compression higher boost for more power production under load.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)