View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
The Tesla is awesome, but it also demonstrates a lot of the limitations involved with electric cars. Even though it's based on an Elise chasis, it weighs over 600lbs more than an Elise (2800lbs vs. 2200lbs). While this isn't so bad for straight line performance (the Tesla and the Elise both run low 13's) because of the extra torque, it certainly isn't going to help handling. Also, the Tesla has problems tearing transmissions up. It was originally supposed to come with a 2-speed transmission, but it was eating those up so fast they had to ship it with a 1 speed tranny. I think electric cars are definitely the future. As far as drag racing is concerned, the instant torque and high rpm's of the electric motor are definitely awesome as long as you can hook. I think by 2025 we'll see a variety of off the shelf 12-second capable quarter mile electric cars. I don't think they'll be as fun to work on as normal I.C.E. cars though.
Save weight by ditching the batteries, and instead putting on alternator on the electric motor so it can power itself! Infinite power!!!

Well at least I think I'm funny.