View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #517
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
No, 4160s or 4150s can be either Vac or Mech secondaries. It has to to do with the metering blocks.
I found this on FordMuscle.com after I found out what I thought was wrong.

"When it comes to Holleys, 4150 and 4160 refer to the two most popular models of Holley carbs. A 4150 has both primary and secondary metering blocks, allowing you to change jetting for both the primary and secondary circuits. The 4160 models utilize a metering plate in the secondary , which has fixed, non-adjustable, metering orifices. All 4160 models have vacuum actuated secondary throttle plates. The 4150 models come in either dual mechanical throttle plates or with vacuum secondaries. All 4150's have dual accelerator pumps, and dual fuel inlets hence the term "double pumper." The difference between vacuum and mechanical secondaries is simply in how the carb actuates the secondary metering system. In vacuum actuated carbs, the secondaries open up only when the vacuum across the primary venturis reaches a certain level. A diaphragm housing on the side of the carb contains a changeable spring which controls precisely when the secondaries open. On a mechanical secondary carb the secondaries open when the throttle lever reaches a certain position. The simplest way to tell which type you have is to look down the throat of the carb, with the engine off, and pull back on the throttle lever. If the secondaries open, its a mechanical secondary."