View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Default Internal engine knock help!

Ever since I rebuilt my Jeep motor and fired it up for the first time, its always had a knock under light load around 2000rms and up. It will knock every once and a great while at idle. Ive done as much as I can think of to figure this out with no results. This is a mechanical issue.

Things Ive done so far:
Pulled the oil pan, no metal shavings
Re-torqued everything, and I do mean everything!
Pulled the valve cover off and re-torqued all the rockers (no adjustment to them)
I pulled the timing cover off, verified timing and nothing hitting the cover.

Then I found out if I pull the injector plug or plug wire off of #3 cylinder, it knocks continuously at idle. #3 is the only one that knocks when I do this. So I then pulled the brand new hydraulic lifters, rockers, and pushrods and swapped them with #2 cylinder. No change what so ever. I swapped injectors with #2 and #3, nothing. Swapped spark plug wires with #2 and #3, nothing. I even changed out the #3 rod bearing and it didn't change, didn't even need a new one either.

One thing that I did do that made a change was loosen the rocker bolts for the intake and exhaust with the injector plug off and it changed the sound. It got quieter, but didn't go completely away. Im getting plenty of oil flow, well equal to the other cylinders, out of the pushrods through the rockers.

Info about the motor is that the only internal moving parts that are old are the rods and crank. Everything else is brand new. The head is a brand new head that came fully assembled. I did reuse the old rockers, but that's it. Everything was machined/replaced for just a normal rebuild, nothing crazy on this one. I cant think of anything else to do besides pull the head off and take a look. If I had a borescope to use, that might help some. Anyone have any other ideas? Im completely lost.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."