View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #105
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I never let it idle, as soon as it fired I brought it up to 2000 rpms to break in the cam and I set the idle screw there to hold it while I looked for leaks. It ran for about 15 minutes and I usually run it there for 20 to 25 minutes. Do you think 15 minutes is enough to break the cam in or do you think we should still break in the cam the next time we fire it up?

The pistons all look good and so do the cylinder walls but I'm waiting to hear back from my brother about his bore gauge to check the shape. I'm not going to work on it today but I'll probably take a look at the bearings tomorrow as well as the rings on cylinder 4 and give you guys an update on it.
An investment of around $150 will get him new GOOD rings and VERY GOOD bearings. Just a thought.

Yes....do treat the cam as needing to be broke in....You need lots of oil on the cam at start up...just to be safe...15 minute break in is usually OK..but with the way things have been going ....better to be safe than sorry.

I know you know this..oil with ZINC.

At least when you guys have the engine back together...you will know it is good.
2016 Nissan Altma