View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Default 98 Durango 4wd help

I finally got all of the 4wd components to get the Durango offroad ready. Got another set of motor mounts and filled them with polyurathane and put them in and found the drivers side mount that bolts to the block broken. Replaced it and mounts work great. The motor barely moves and it doesn't even vibrate the interior. The next day I put the front diff carrier, half axles, and propshaft in and took it for a test drive. It was sluggish on take off and when I turned, the tires were under a huge load. The xfer case is a manual shifter and it is in the 2hi position. So I cycled it through the 2hi, 4hi, neutral, and 4low positions. Neutral and 4low definitely work. 2hi and 4hi feel exactly the same. Changed the xfer case oil and adjusted the shifter as per the manual and same thing. Tried backing up and going forward as per owners manual and no change. Ended up removing the propshaft and it drives normal again. The 4wd light on the gauge cluster doesn't come on even if it's in 4low.

Before I take the step of going to the junkyard and ripping out another xfer case and swapping it in, any ideas of what I can do to get this thing to work properly? I'm leaving for Nebraska on the 15th and I need 4wd to work properly since there is snow on the ground back there.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."