View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
How did he test this? Did he test it at idle, cruise, drag strip, road course? I would think that a cold air intake with an intercooler would make a pretty big difference on a car that was driven on a road course over drawing air hot air right over the exhaust. The cylinder temps get a lot hotter on a road course. With the Cobra (supercharged non intercooled) I have to run on the pump gas tune with 110 octane to keep it from detonating. When I drag race it I can run the race gas tune with 100 octane and the timing bumped another 4 degrees and it doesn't detonate.
I tend to agree, but the isolated variable here is not cylinder temps, but the temps coming out of the intercooler with and without a cold air intake. The only thing I could imagine is that if the interncooler is so big and efficient, it may not matter that much. But yes, under harsh conditions, the under hood temps as the headers really start to glow must be considerably higher. So if you have a smaller IC setup and you drive the piss out of your car, then piping in cold air might really make a difference.

It's a complexity problem, lots of sliding variables under different conditions.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)