Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Rebuilding an Engine that doesnt need a rebuild. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48777)

enkeivette 05-15-2013 11:41 AM

Rebuilding an Engine that doesnt need a rebuild.

There is a strong possibility I will be scoring a 4.0L Jeep I6. It has 190K miles but still smogs and runs like a champ.

But Id feel silly installing it without freshening it up at all, so, what are the high wear parts in a motor? Im thinking, new valve guides in the head (skipping the valve job), flex hone the cylinder and new rings, new crank and rod bearings, and a new timing chain.

Anything else? Im sure the lifters and bores will be fine, machine shops dont really even touch the lifter bores. But how about the cam bearings? I would think that they dont wear out nearly as fast since there isnt much rotating mass on a cam.

AND if anyone plans to lecture me about doing it once and doing it right, please also answer my question :) :p

94cobra69ss396 05-15-2013 11:45 AM

Lap the valves and install new valve springs.

enkeivette 05-15-2013 11:46 AM

Think the valve seats will be fine? Its an iron head. Can you get a tool to lap valves yourself?

94cobra69ss396 05-15-2013 12:44 PM

Yes, you can pick up one of the cheap suction cup style ones at any autoparts store as well as the compound.

enkeivette 05-15-2013 12:51 PM

Thanks man. Whats your experience with cam bearings? Have you ever really seen them wear out?

Damian 05-15-2013 01:41 PM

Look at the lifter and rocker components. The rocker bridges might be twisted like mine were.

kdracer73 05-15-2013 05:44 PM

I think the 4.0 motors are prone to valve issues. The valves stop rotating in the guide, causing abnormal wear. We pull the rockers and look for scoring on the valve tips. Not sure what years are effected, but there is a factory TSB.

Leedom 05-15-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 115367)
Can you get a tool to lap valves yourself?

You can use a hose that can fit on the valve stem as well and just pull on it and twist.

See it in action here. Just skip to about 13 minutes.

enkeivette 05-15-2013 11:51 PM

Thanks for that video! It's great. I didn't realize that lapping valves meant checking them. I thought it meant taking off material to make the edges true again. Good to know. ...So if they seat correctly, no need to machine or replace anything.

BRUTAL64 05-16-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 115365)
There is a strong possibility I will be scoring a 4.0L Jeep I6. It has 190K miles but still smogs and runs like a champ.

But Id feel silly installing it without freshening it up at all, so, what are the high wear parts in a motor? Im thinking, new valve guides in the head (skipping the valve job), flex hone the cylinder and new rings, new crank and rod bearings, and a new timing chain.

Anything else? Im sure the lifters and bores will be fine, machine shops dont really even touch the lifter bores. But how about the cam bearings? I would think that they dont wear out nearly as fast since there isnt much rotating mass on a cam.

AND if anyone plans to lecture me about doing it once and doing it right, please also answer my question :) :p

I have an 88 4.0 long block with intake and exhaust sitting in the shop...I want to get rid of it..std bore was running when I pulled it.