Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bystanders Lift Burning Car Off Motorcyclist (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32024)

Vettezuki 09-13-2011 09:45 PM

Bystanders Lift Burning Car Off Motorcyclist

wow.

Small White Car 09-14-2011 12:04 AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52574438-78/story.csp

Shaolin Crane 09-14-2011 01:36 AM

rss beat you to it

Leedom 09-14-2011 12:46 PM

That is truely impressive. Of course if this was just an accident nobody would have helped out.

Shaolin Crane 09-14-2011 12:50 PM

Maybe, Vanessa and I saw a dude on a motorcycle get drilled by a van, i jumped out of the truck cause he was laying in the center of his lane and almost got hit again twice, me and 2 other people i dont know dragged him onto the sidewalk just as a semi passed by us oblivious to what happened. I got shit from this dude we know who is an "emt" and said i probably hurt him further and should have left him. All i know is a semi would do a shit load more damage than i could ever do. Hopefully that earned me some good karma. :huh:

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 83036)
Maybe, Vanessa and I saw a dude on a motorcycle get drilled by a van, i jumped out of the truck cause he was laying in the center of his lane and almost got hit again twice, me and 2 other people i dont know dragged him onto the sidewalk just as a semi passed by us oblivious to what happened. I got shit from this dude we know who is an "emt" and said i probably hurt him further and should have left him. All i know is a semi would do a shit load more damage than i could ever do. Hopefully that earned me some good karma. :huh:

You would have been covered under good samaritan laws (and common sense). True, it's better to leave someone be who has been traumatized until a support mechanism can be attached. This is entirely to protect against spinal injuries. Exceptions: If they would otherwise burn to death or get hit by a semi. Duh.

kdracer73 09-14-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 83041)
You would have been covered under good samaritan laws (and common sense). True, it's better to leave someone be who has been traumatized until a support mechanism can be attached. This is entirely to protect against spinal injuries. Exceptions: If they would otherwise burn to death or get hit by a semi. Duh.

Heard the marginal Legal advice from Bill Handle, that you put yourself at risk when assisting others, because the jargon is kinda loose.
From US Legal.com
A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful.
Some states offer immunity to good samaritans, but sometimes negligence could result in a claim of negligent care if the injuries or illness were made worse by the volunteer's negligence.

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 83042)
Heard the marginal Legal advice from Bill Handle, that you put yourself at risk when assisting others, because the jargon is kinda loose.
From US Legal.com
A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful.
Some states offer immunity to good samaritans, but sometimes negligence could result in a claim of negligent care if the injuries or illness were made worse by the volunteer's negligence.

This was based on my CERT training. If someone is unconscious and in traffic or in a burning car, you're going to be ok. Inaction literally means death, which is pretty bad on the whole. :smack: Absolutely do NOT move someone if they've been in a wreck, are in the car, but otherwise are not in immediate danger.

Small White Car 09-14-2011 04:18 PM

Pretty sure retrieving someone from under a burning automobile clears you in any negligence suit.

Or this is a colder country than I thought.

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 83054)
. . . Or this is a colder country than I thought.

Actually on the whole Americans are pretty helpful to one another on a personal basis.

What we have become is litigious as all hell and liability has crept into everything. I just spent a couple months trying to get a community garden started at my place of work. We have a beautiful piece of totally unused property off in a corner, no plans for it whatsoever. A community garden wouldn't have cost them anything and would have fit right in with our wellness program. But they said no. Why? Liability.