Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Crossfire Jet Boat (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26534)

enkeivette 03-27-2011 11:31 AM

Crossfire Jet Boat

Crossfire... crossfirrreee!!!

Sooo, just dropped Vettezuki's Vette engine into my boat. (I heart you Ben.) Originally I was going to use my marine intake/ carb, but I started staring at the TBIs and I think I fell in love. Haha. But ya, I think I'd get better fuel economy and with a boat motor that is constantly at WOT at 3500 rpm under load, that can't be a bad thing.

So I did some research. Unless I can find a crossfire ECM pigtail, I think my best option is to run a Camaro single TBI ECM, parallel wire the IACs and drill and tap the intake for an intake manifold temp sensor. Should work the same.

So follow a long as I get further into this frankenboat.

Shaolin Crane 03-27-2011 12:16 PM

I know a great fabric wholesaler if you're thinking of re-carpeting the boat, I did my whole car for $9 would really up the look of everything

94cobra69ss396 03-27-2011 12:36 PM

Don't use the crossfire injection. Those intakes were terrible and had a lot of issue with puddling. If you want TBI get an intake off a late 80's truck instead. Also, you're not going to get any better MPG with the EFI than you will with a properly tuned carb.

injdinjn 03-28-2011 11:28 AM

I have too agree, xfire was another GM fkup.

The simplest would be a carb. TBI's and TPI's require so many sensors and wiring that is prone to corrosion on a boat. And where do you put the oxygen sensor.
Another thing is the intake ports on the GM intakes are lousy esp the xfire.

kdracer73 03-28-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 71164)
I have too agree, xfire was another GM fkup.

The simplest would be a carb. TBI's and TPI's require so many sensors and wiring that is prone to corrosion on a boat. And where do you put the oxygen sensor.
Another thing is the intake ports on the GM intakes are lousy esp the xfire.

What he said.
GM only used that POS on Corvette and non California F bodies for 2 years before tossing it. It was problematic. Junk it !

Vettezuki 03-28-2011 12:30 PM

While obviously not a brilliant piece of engineering, I think the Xfire gets a little bit of a bad rap. I ran it for a couple years before going up to the LS and it was fine, zero troubles and it got decent street mpg (low 20s was the best I got when optimized). It's a good point that in a boat application where the engine is going to be running at a constant high throttle, a tuned carb would do just as well on fuel consumption.

If you want to go carb, I have a brand new Holly 750 (vacuum) with quick fuel meter blocks I got for the snake. That's still gonna be a little while and I want to go TBI when the time comes anyway, so it's available if you want. Though maybe a 750 is too much carb for that cam. :huh:

enkeivette 03-28-2011 01:00 PM

I'm going crossfire. Im no stranger to tuning carbs and it is very difficult tuning a marine carb that wants to run with the butterflys open while the motor is horsepower limited to 3500 rpm. Bog city.

I'm sure I will get better gas mileage part throttle and at idle. And the boat will spend a lot of time at idle getting out of the marina.

I plan to pick up a Camaro ECM/ pigtail/ IAT sensor next time pick your part has a half off sale. I'll bet I can get everything I need for about $60. :judge:

enkeivette 03-28-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 71113)
Don't use the crossfire injection. Those intakes were terrible and had a lot of issue with puddling. If you want TBI get an intake off a late 80's truck instead. Also, you're not going to get any better MPG with the EFI than you will with a properly tuned carb.

I would if I didn't already have the crossfire setup. Good tip though.

enkeivette 03-28-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 71111)
I know a great fabric wholesaler if you're thinking of re-carpeting the boat, I did my whole car for $9 would really up the look of everything

The carpet in the boat is newish, just got dirty from the swap. Some soap will fix it. I just need to reupholster the rear seat with gray vinyl. I've wrapped stuff in vinyl before, it's pretty simple.

Shaolin Crane 03-28-2011 01:46 PM

They have everything and sell it by the square yard. Place is awesome for any car buff, lots of stuff that they match to OE styles as well, place is a vintage porsche lovers dream