Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is this the peak of the modern muscle cars? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193)

SeanPlunk 03-26-2008 09:51 PM

Is this the peak of the modern muscle cars?

With the new C.A.F.E. standards, does anyone else feel like we're seeing the end of the modern muscle car era? I feel like the Challenger, the Mustang, and the new Camaro may be the last of their kind. The last 10 years have been amazing though. The number cars that run stock quarter miles in the 13's or less has been nothing short of amazing...

enkeivette 03-30-2008 03:59 PM

Probably. But if you think about it, they've already hit most of the popular muscle cars of the day. We already have the:

T-Bird
Mustang
Charger
Corvette
and the Camaro & Challenger are coming soon.

So what's left?

I've even seen a concept of a TransAm. The only one I can think of that hasn't been redone is the Chevelle... well Aloha Motors took a shot at the Chevelle and it looked like ass. Unless it's produced by GM I'm not counting it. I suppose it would be cool to see Plymouth come out with a Cuda based on the Callenger chassis.

P.S. I'm not adding the FWD V6 Impala to my list.

SeanPlunk 03-30-2008 04:48 PM

Yes, I see what you're saying, my point is just simply that I think the end of any kind of high volume affordable V8 may be coming to an end. They'll still be around I'm sure, but I'm not sure something like a 100k unit Mustang GT can exist in the new CAFE world.

vonage6591 03-30-2008 05:06 PM

I see exactly what your saying and I think your pretty much 100% correct. With more and more emphasis put on efficiency and regulations it's becoming harder and harder for powerful cars to exist in the numbers that we're used to. Something else i've been thinking of is what happens when we as a country switch over to an "alternative fuel" like hydrogen? From the very little reading i've done on the subject is is my understanding that a fuel like hydrogen would have substantially less power than that of gasoline. I know something like that would be quite a ways off but it's still interesting to think about.

enkeivette 03-30-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonage6591 (Post 1144)
I see exactly what your saying and I think your pretty much 100% correct. With more and more emphasis put on efficiency and regulations it's becoming harder and harder for powerful cars to exist in the numbers that we're used to. Something else i've been thinking of is what happens when we as a country switch over to an "alternative fuel" like hydrogen? From the very little reading i've done on the subject is is my understanding that a fuel like hydrogen would have substantially less power than that of gasoline. I know something like that would be quite a ways off but it's still interesting to think about.

Gasoline will always be available as long as people are still buying it. Even once we begin to use alternative fuels regularly, gasoline will still be available. I'm not saying anything about the price of it though.

Also, for those who care enough about their cars to keep them around, there are ways to convert a gas engine to natural gas, or propane, etc. I've seen a 500hp propane injected C3.

anthonydalrymple 04-11-2008 10:09 PM

Oh yeah..... It's just about over; out here in Cali anyways... Tree huggers, Democraps, and the "global warming must be entirely man made and has nothing to due with normal planet weather cycles" crowd are beginning to apply the pressure.... I won't even go into the world environmentalist nazi watch dogs in Europe turning the screws.....

Vettezuki 04-11-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple (Post 1572)
.... I won't even go into the world environmentalist nazi watch dogs in Europe turning the screws.....

I will. Dude, have you even considered the world environmentalist nazi watch dogs in Europe turning the screws?

I just finished a book you might really enjoy.

Liberal FacismLiberal Facism
I'm thinking to construct a questionnaire called "Hillary or Hitler" to see if people can accurately identify the source of actual quotes. In all seriousness, I never understood why kind sensitive libertarian-conservative guys like me are called Fascists.:huh: I say if the shoe fits, stick it in your mouth.

BRUTAL64 04-14-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple (Post 1572)
Oh yeah..... It's just about over; out here in Cali anyways... Tree huggers, Democraps, and the "global warming must be entirely man made and has nothing to due with normal planet weather cycles" crowd are beginning to apply the pressure.... I won't even go into the world environmentalist nazi watch dogs in Europe turning the screws.....

The earth is 4 billion years old. How the hell could anyone know?:huh:

vonage6591 04-14-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn64vette (Post 1636)
The earth is 4 billion years old. How the hell could anyone know?:huh:

Ben posted this a while back, interesting none the less

globally cooler
http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...ast-12-months/

SeanPlunk 04-14-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonage6591 (Post 1640)
Ben posted this a while back, interesting none the less

globally cooler
http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...ast-12-months/

Clearly you don't understand the concept of global warming. Global warming is an upward trend over time. A year over year drop really means nothing. It's like looking at humans over the last hundred years and saying evolution doesn't occur. These things take a VERY long time, but it's important to look at the data over the long haul. I'll admit though, global warming is a tough thing to measure, the data is all over the place and I don't think we have a totally clear picture of what's happening yet. I DO believe we are causing a warming trend though and should act responsibly to try to reduce CO2 as much as possible.