Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Finish has more to do with the supplies than the sprayer. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901)

enkeivette 05-28-2010 02:24 PM

Finish has more to do with the supplies than the sprayer.

Just sprayed the boat.

On the vette we used $1100 worth of PPG epoxy and House of Kolors tri-stage paint and a $500 Sata gun.

I just used $300 worth of Kustom Shop epoxy and Northstar single-stage paint with a $15 gun.

Orangepeeleriffic. I don't know if single-stage will colorsand, but I hope so. I blame the gun primarily. I think the paint would never has been as nice as HOK, but it would have laid on a lot smoother and faster with a Sata.

I spent 3 1/3 hours doing just the charcoal color! That Harbor Freight gun has either no fan width or no volume. I like firehose guns, this gun sucks balls. Plus! You can't see yellow when it's coming out! Could have been the bad lighting, but after the first coat I may as well have been blind.

Lesson to be learned for the snake, someone needs to pony up for a Sata of if we use that Husky, we will be colorsanding. For sure.

Vettezuki 05-28-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 52428)
Just sprayed the boat.

On the vette we used $1100 worth of PPG epoxy and House of Kolors tri-stage paint and a $500 Sata gun.

I just used $300 worth of Kustom Shop epoxy and Northstar single-stage paint with a $15 gun.

Orangepeeleriffic. I don't know if single-stage will colorsand, but I hope so. I blame the gun primarily. I think the paint would never has been as nice as HOK, but it would have laid on a lot smoother and faster with a Sata.

I spent 3 1/3 hours doing just the charcoal color! That Harbor Freight gun has either no fan width or no volume. I like firehose guns, this gun sucks balls. Plus! You can't see yellow when it's coming out! Could have been the bad lighting, but after the first coat I may as well have been blind.

Lesson to be learned for the snake, someone needs to pony up for a Sata of if we use that Husky, we will be colorsanding. For sure.

Aaron's gun (don't know if you've seen it) is apparently some knock-off of a Gucci german made gun. And you know the Germans make good stuff.

enkeivette 05-28-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 52430)
Aaron's gun (don't know if you've seen it) is apparently some knock-off of a Gucci german made gun. And you know the German's make good stuff.

I've used several knock offs, they've all sucked. I'll be able to tell if it's good when we do primer.

94cobra69ss396 05-28-2010 02:39 PM

Where are the pictures?

enkeivette 05-28-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 52432)
Where are the pictures?

In my camera which is right next to me. But I don't have my memory car reader down here. You gotta wait till tomorrow sucka! Plus I'll be able to pull off the masking tape by then.

Chuck 05-28-2010 03:39 PM

:need_pics: :judge:

enkeivette 05-28-2010 06:58 PM

Cry? Here's a quick cell phone pic.

big_G 05-29-2010 05:26 AM

Look into "Finish-Line" guns. I use them in my shop. Inexpensive (relatively) with very good spray pattern, and various sized tips are available.

enkeivette 05-29-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 52459)
Look into "Finish-Line" guns. I use them in my shop. Inexpensive (relatively) with very good spray pattern, and various sized tips are available.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll wait a few years and buy myself a new Sata when I have a job. There are plenty of good guns out there, but Satas are notorious for being firehoses, and I do much better with a lot of volume.

enkeivette 05-29-2010 07:50 AM

No comments on the boat? Realy? Is it that bad?