Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Orange County (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Mobile Smog Checks (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12848)

mustangray 02-04-2010 08:45 PM

Mobile Smog Checks

Has anyone seen these mobile smog checks by the side of the road ?
I almost got stuck in one on chapman the other day :eek:

SeanPlunk 02-04-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangray (Post 44311)
Has anyone seen these mobile smog checks by the side of the road ?
I almost got stuck in one on chapman the other day :eek:

Chapman and where? That sucks.

SoCalC55 02-04-2010 09:29 PM

wait WHAT THE HELL??!?!

smog checkpoints, when and where!

/arg

Vettezuki 02-04-2010 09:34 PM

<Insert standard Vettezuki anti-government rant #43>

Leedom 02-04-2010 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, the government have nothing better to do with our taxes than this :poo:

kdracer73 02-05-2010 08:00 AM

They have been doing this for years. It is one of the ways they bust smog check techs. In one of my update training classes they had a discussion about them. They compare the random car readings with thier current smog check results, then do a investigation on that shop, if they see a problem. They will stop you if you reg tags are renewed in the last couple months.

SoCalC55 02-05-2010 08:29 AM

sooo basicially if you see this (truck?) flip a u-turn as fast as you can

atleast I have a leg up on all your american V8 boys, they wont expect me to fail, haha

kdracer73 02-05-2010 09:05 AM

It is a trailer with a dyno. They also use road side infra red sensors that "sniff" your car as you go past. if you have high readings they may stop you and do a more complete test.

Throttle Crazy 02-05-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 44317)
wait WHAT THE HELL??!?!

smog checkpoints, when and where!

/arg

Yes, they have been doing this for several years now. Normally they set up toward the middle of an up hill section. They especially like using on ramps to the freeway. Most of the time you will see a white van sitting on the right shoulder of the on ramp looking like there is work going on. They like on ramps because once you turn on there is no way to turn around and go back, also the car is put under more of a load headed up hill and trying to accelerate to freeway speeds. If they pick up excessive emissions it photos your licence plate and you are mailed a notice that you have to go to a gold shield test center to have your vehicle tested and repaired. They use an infrared sensor that shoots across the road. It takes the sample with in three seconds and sends the info to a calibrator and computer located in the van. If the emissions is eccessive it photos your plate.

Throttle Crazy 02-05-2010 09:37 AM

They claim that 15% of the cars on the road are creating over 50% of the total vehicular smog. These cars are being illegally smogged and this is a way to catch them.