Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Washed and waxed the Turbo Buick and Cobra (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121)

SeanPlunk 01-25-2009 12:32 AM

Washed and waxed the Turbo Buick and Cobra

Well, I had this last Monday off (bank holiday FTW) and so BGN8711 and I decided to wash and wax the Turbo Buick and Cobra. Waxing the Turbo Buick was an adventure - I don't think it had been waxed last since 1987 :laugh:

We washed the car first and then did an entire coat of cleaner wax to try to remove as much junk as possible. We then followed that up with a layer of normal wax. Unfortunately right in the middle of that coat the sun really came out and cooked the wax on. As a result everything came out really hazy. We decided to wait for it to cool down and then re-waxed the entire car again. Overall the results were quite good, I'm surprised how much shine was in paint that old. Here are some pictures from after we finished:

Vettezuki 01-25-2009 12:37 AM

You can totally tell how shiny they are in the dark. . .

SeanPlunk 01-25-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 14257)
You can totally tell how shiny they are in the dark. . .

Actually you can, that's how good we are :rolling:

You're just jealous because your car is dirty :nutkick:

enkeivette 01-26-2009 12:12 AM

Take her easy on the cleaner wax, once in a while is fine but don't use it every month. It's abrasive so... yeah.

BlacknBoostn 01-26-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 14305)
Take her easy on the cleaner wax, once in a while is fine but don't use it every month. It's abrasive so... yeah.

how often do you think a wax should be done? not a cleaner wax just a regular wax.. what about clay bar?

SeanPlunk 01-26-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 14327)
how often do you think a wax should be done? not a cleaner wax just a regular wax.. what about clay bar?

I'm going to start doing the claybar 2x a year. I did it in November, so I'll do it again in April before Fabulous Fords probably. As for waxing, I wax my car generally everytime I wash it now - so every two weeks. I don't use cleaner wax on the Cobra though. After the claybar I have just been putting layers of wax on as I go and I think that's enough.

Chate 01-26-2009 04:32 PM

Lookin good!
Some day i'll wash my car too... :(

SeanPlunk 01-26-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chate (Post 14349)
Lookin good!
Some day i'll wash my car too... :(

Next time you're up here we can claybar, wash and wax the Vette as long as you get your own supplies :bigthumbsup:

Chate 01-26-2009 08:41 PM

Sad thing is, I bought the mothers clay kit thing long ago, just happens to rain/almost rain everytime i go home lately so i never got around to doing it! :(

ZexGX 03-09-2009 10:35 AM

I've found that the Meguiars clay kit lasts a little longer and is a better quality product, IMO...