Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Meet and Greet (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Mustang newbie from the OC (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27814)

yellowsnake01 05-01-2011 05:55 PM

Mustang newbie from the OC

Just thought Id make a quick intro as I've been lurking around here for a short while and really like what you guys have goin on here.

I only moved out to Socal a little over 2 years ago and settled down in OC. I'm a true gearhead at heart, love gettin my hands dirty, and gettin out to enjoy the cars as much as I can. I'm also a mechanical engineer by trade, having spent a few years in the aerospace industry and recently started in the automotive industry.

Anyway, here's the toys. The Cobra has been my daily driver for almost 7 years now and has been an absolute blast to drive all this time. Mildly modified, as I had to make sure she could be reliable for all these miles. (btw the first pic was taken @ Limerock in CT and the second at an autocross @ Giants Stadium in NY)

My foxbody will soon be shipped out here; been in storage @ my parents back in CT. I've been ENTIRELY through this car, which was formerly someones drag car. Once it gets out here and I sort out a few things I'll be taking her on more of an open-track direction, with a lot of suspension parts in the near future. Under the hood is a stock motor with 145K mi, a Vortech S-trim, 3550; dynoing in @ 350 hp and 370 lb*ft to the wheels. Considering how relatively mild it is, she's a blast to drive.

And rest assured, I'm not a complete Mustang nut. This is my pride and joy, a '65 Olds Cutlass 442. Owned this one for 12 years now, and have spent 8 of those years working on her. The first 5 years were performing a thorough frame off resto, and just before I moved out I finished up a 3 year project fabricating and installing the engine you see here. It's a 468-cube big block Olds, .672" solid roller cam, Electromotive EFI, twin Vortech A-trims, and a TKO600. Needless to say, it's a handful to drive but I wouldn't trade it for anything. This one is also being stored @ my parents place in CT, hopin to get this one shipped here once I buy a house.

I'm hopin to make it out to join you guys for the cruise on the 15th with the Cobra. So far I've gone on a few drives around LA and SD and have been blown away at the scenery and wild roads around here.

Vettezuki 05-01-2011 06:16 PM

Awesome! Welcome aboard. I think you'll love the cruises we do every month. :drink:

jedhead 05-01-2011 07:17 PM

Welcome. Love the Olds.

Bob

Leedom 05-01-2011 10:03 PM

Welcome. I like that engine bay!!

Kozak 05-02-2011 04:17 AM

Nice man, my mom drove a '72 442 when I was a young lad, you get sick of people asking if the engine is a 442, yet?

Shaolin Crane 05-02-2011 07:58 AM

Bout time ;)

mustangray 05-02-2011 09:01 AM

Welcome, I love the 442

94cobra69ss396 05-02-2011 09:37 AM

Welcome. I love all your cars!

yellowsnake01 05-02-2011 07:47 PM

Thanks for the complements guys. I'm pretty stoked to get out to the cruise, been itchin to get in some scenery around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kozak (Post 73826)
Nice man, my mom drove a '72 442 when I was a young lad, you get sick of people asking if the engine is a 442, yet?

Yeap, get it all too often. Also get the argument that 442 stood for 4 barrel, 4 speed, dual exhaust. Funny how most people dont even know they made 442s in '65.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 73834)
Bout time ;)

Yeah but I did finally make it! Thanks for tellin me bout the site.

Shaolin Crane 05-02-2011 09:51 PM

Better late than never I suppose, how did the mid pipe work out?