Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Lowering Shock/Struts...everything ever... (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25845)

Brodom 03-05-2011 10:55 PM

Lowering Shock/Struts...everything ever...

So I'm paranoid and confused now cuz I keep hearing different things and am really looking for a couple of yes's/no's/what the hell is wrong with yous...
After consulting sever different people I figured I'd ask you guys because I think I trust you over everyone else as far as car advice goes...

So here is the skinny...
I have H&R Super Sport Spring with some new isolators
Front Drop: 1.75in. Spring Rate 700-760 lb/in
Rear Drop: 1.6in. Spring Rate 275-300 lb/in

Stock Shocks and Struts 77,000 miles

I have heard several different things as to what else I'll need and what I'm looking for is a yes or no...

I know I need C/C plates with the amount of drop I'll have... my main concern is shocks and struts.

I've heard they are a must/not so much/not at all.
Specifically...
1) Without new shocks and struts the stock ones can wear faster...heard to be not true
2)Also ride quality will suffer...I think I am ok with feeling more bumps in the road...not a Cadillac anyways...and i'd like to feel the road more as it is
3) I have also heard with such a high spring rate that if i hit a pothole or something (which is about never) the rebound would be so fast that I could blow out the shock on the given tire/s because the gas would not be able to decompress/compress as fast. True or False or Probably?

Basically I'd like to avoid buying shocks if I don't have too, but I also do not want to replace them in 6 months either... thoughts? I know leedom has helped me a little already but looking for more input.
Thanks Alex

94cobra69ss396 03-05-2011 11:11 PM

Run the ones you have an see how they react. You are not going to blow up your struts/shocks. The only issue you may have is that the valving on the shock is not firm enough on rebound which will allow the spring to decompress quickly. You would notice it most, as people have said, on rough patches of road. Instead of the car going straight and feeling in control you may find that it drifts around.

Shaolin Crane 03-06-2011 12:55 AM

You're not gonna blow your shocks/struts run em and upgrade later

Damian 03-06-2011 11:59 AM

I'd change out the shocks/struts soon though. Stock parts aren't meant for stiffer springs, they are mostly setup for comfort. The Muffstain has a billion different options for shocks/struts, I'm sure you can find something in your price range.

Brodom 03-06-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 69638)
I'd change out the shocks/struts soon though. Stock parts aren't meant for stiffer springs, they are mostly setup for comfort. The Muffstain has a billion different options for shocks/struts, I'm sure you can find something in your price range.

I found some in my price range I just don't want to buy them :/ ...I'm gunna get some CC plates and throw the springs on some time this month hopefully before I drive down to So. Cal. and break them in...I figure an 800 mile road trip will help me decide if I hate them with stock shocks or not...In April I'll probably get everything else if I need it. I heard lower/stiffer springs don't cause any more wear than the stock ones do anyways...but I'll probably make shocks and struts a summer project...

Thanks all for the advice

enkeivette 03-06-2011 04:28 PM

Run the stock ones. It'll be fine.

Shaolin Crane 03-06-2011 11:29 PM

what the ford hater said.

Leedom 03-07-2011 12:40 AM

Like I said before. The original owner of my car put Steeda Sport Springs (1" to 1.25" drop) on the Mach shortly after buying the car. I bought it from him and have 60K on the stock shocks. I bought C/C plates for better alignment for the front end and they allowed for a larger range of adjustment and added the ability to set caster. With the drop you are going with it is a good idea to use C/C plates as they will allow you to get some compression (up) travel back which will help ride quality. My next mod is new front struts only because it is the fronts turn for some love after the rear got new MM LRCAs, MM Panhard Bar, and shocks :bigthumbsup:. Use your stock shocks and when you get around to is buy some struts when you have the cash.

enkeivette 03-07-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 69656)
what the ford hater said.

You're not talking about me are you? I hate all makes equally.

Well... Italians and Germans usually do it better.

Brodom 03-07-2011 10:23 AM

Thanks Leedom, I'm going to order motorcraft CC plates today :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 69665)
You're not talking about me are you? I hate all makes equally.

Well... Italians and Germans usually do it better.

That's like saying "I hate all my children equally, except bill and bob...they are fancy"

And I think they were referring to Damian... "Muffstain" how dare you sir...