Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site Issues / Ask a Mod (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Problems logging in and navagating the site! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19867)

Madmax305 08-25-2010 03:03 PM

Problems logging in and navagating the site!

I don't know what the problem is, but it takes forever for me to log into this site and afterwards, it takes forever to navigate from page to page. I don't have this problem with other sites. Any ideas? :(

Vettezuki 08-25-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax305 (Post 58180)
I don't know what the problem is, but it takes forever for me to log into this site and afterwards, it takes forever to navigate from page to page. I don't have this problem with other sites. Any ideas? :(

Is this a recent problem or was it ever thus?
Are you behind any kind of firewall?
After browsing the site for a while is it still slow?
What computer (Mac/PC) OS are you on?
What browser are you using?

There have been some recent troubles with Adobe's Flash plugin and Firefox in particular that may have caused these problems in the last month or so.

I know this is not a general problem. It's something between your specific system and the site. I'm not saying it's all your computer, just that it's not a universal problem. The server itself is located practically on a backbone in SoCal. My connection is almost instant.

kdracer73 08-25-2010 03:53 PM

Mine is quick to log-in and browse.:drink:

Madmax305 08-25-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 58182)
Is this a recent problem or was it ever thus?
Are you behind any kind of firewall?
After browsing the site for a while is it still slow?
What computer (Mac/PC) OS are you on?
What browser are you using?

There have been some recent troubles with Adobe's Flash plugin and Firefox in particular that may have caused these problems in the last month or so.

I know this is not a general problem. It's something between your specific system and the site. I'm not saying it's all your computer, just that it's not a universal problem. The server itself is located practically on a backbone in SoCal. My connection is almost instant.

I have McAfee firewall. Yes, browsing is still slow even after I have been on a while. I have had this problem with this site for quite a while now. I have Windows xp and Internet explorer 8 as a web browser.

Doyle

Vettezuki 08-25-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax305 (Post 58185)
I have McAfee firewall. Yes, browsing is still slow even after I have been on a while. I have had this problem with this site for quite a while now. I have Windows xp and Internet explorer 8 as a web browser.

Doyle

Mmm.

If you don't mind, try turning off the firewall briefly and/or installing and using FireFox. Just curious to isolate the conflict.

If you're browsing threads that have lots of links to external resources (i.e., pics hosted elsewhere, links to other sites) the load time would be increasingly dependent on that linked data going through your firewall, but that would be true for all sites.

Madmax305 08-25-2010 04:39 PM

I shut down the firewall protection, it really didn't make any difference. The problem still exists...

Chuck 08-25-2010 10:16 PM

I have a fairly slow connection (tethered from my phone) this site is very fast to load and log in. Vista and Google Chrome.

Leedom 08-25-2010 11:01 PM

IT guys have told me to use Google Chrome or Firefox for a browser.

Vettezuki 08-26-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax305 (Post 58189)
I shut down the firewall protection, it really didn't make any difference. The problem still exists...

We'll be doing a major upgrade of the underlying system within a month. Let's revisit this at that time and see if it goes away with that.

Madmax305 08-26-2010 09:44 AM

OK, thanks for all the help guys, I'll continue to work with it on my end and let you know If I get it figured out. :thumbs_up:

Doyle